COUNTDOWN TO COP26
The leading international collaboration platform for achieving true zero in the maritime sector, Zero Emissions Ship Technology Association (ZESTAs), is organizing a disruptive and interactive event coinciding with COP26 in Glasgow, Scotland.
This hybrid face-to-face/virtual event is your COP26 opportunity to align with the razor’s edge of innovation, driving the maritime industry toward wave-breaking change.
Charging to True Zero
ZESTAs is an international trade association of global game-changers developing true zero emission ship technologies. The association is a bold voice impacting industry, legislation and regulation to uptake true zero emission ship technologies and fuels.
90% of goods traded are transported by ship. If shipping were a country it would be the sixth-largest GHG polluter. The Paris Agreement will not be achieved unless the shipping industry urgently makes cohesive and aggressive headway towards true zero°.
‘Ship ZERO°: Charging to True Zero°’ brings together innovators, thought leaders, regulators and first movers from the shipping and energy sectors to pinpoint collaborative development opportunities and identify pathways to enabling large-scale deployment of true zero
This high-profile event is an unprecedented opportunity to engage with leading international disruptors, aligning your brand with real-world solutions for mitigating and eliminating the climate impacts of commercial shipping.
What will ‘Ship ZERO°’ deliver?
‘Ship ZERO°’ will chart a course to true zero emissions using the waypoints of existing technologies and innovations, combining perspectives and experiences from a wide range of industry stakeholders to plot a course through the stormy seas of regulation, finance, new technological developments and fuel uncertainty. The deliverable will be a collaborative and interactive navigational chart (‘Charging to True Zero°’), to be shared with COP26 delegates, shipping and energy industry stakeholders as well as being delivered to the IMO, in both written report and film formats.
DIAMOND $100,000 (Not available)
PLATINUM $50,000 (2 available)
- Unique opportunities to put your company on display through 2 opportunities to speak, 2 broadcasted interviews (will be turned into on-demand podcasts), prominent company exhibition space, custom roller banner (which you provide) and a feature in the corporate video on ZESTAs site
- Company branding and logo on all event printed materials, event main screen and a feature article in all three newsletters to be distributed throughout the event
- Platinum sponsors are given the option to have a printed full-page advert in the event brochure
- Each Platinum sponsor will be given 5 delegate passes for your preferred clients and/or staff In celebration of Scottish tradition, ZESTAs networking dinner will be a traditional Scottish Burns dinner to which all Platinum sponsors will receive 3 tickets
- Be featured on the corporate video that will be played in public spaces. 25% of the corporate loop will be divided between all 3
- Platinum Sponsors Receive access to post-event analytics and all relevant scanned leads within 5 days (as per GDPR guidelines)
GOLD $30,000 (4 available)
- Put your company on prominent display with both exhibition space and your roller banner
- Gold sponsors branding and logos will be on all printed materials, event newsletters, featured on event’s main screen and website landing page
- Each Gold sponsor will be given ½ printed advert in event brochure, one featured article in event newsletter and two additional logo + mentions in the remaining newsletters
- Be featured on the corporate video that will be played in public spaces. 25% of the corporate loop will be divided between all 5 Gold Sponsors
- Enjoy 3 delegate passes for your preferred customers and/or staff In celebration of Scottish tradition, ZESTAs networking dinner will be a traditional Scottish Burns dinner to which all Gold sponsors will receive 2 tickets
- All Gold sponsors will receive all scanned leads and analytics within 5 days of the event (as per GDPR guidelines)
SILVER $20,000 (7 available)
- Put your company on prominent display with a booth exhibition space
- Top tier promotion opportunities through prominent placement of company branding and logos throughout all promotional pieces, event materials, and event’s main screen
- Each Silver sponsor gets the opportunity to have printed ½ page advert in the event brochure
- Showcase the industry to 2 preferred customers and/or staff through 2 delegate passes
- Be featured on the corporate video that will be played in public spaces. 25% of the corporate loop will be divided between all 8 Silver Sponsors.
- In celebration of Scottish tradition, ZESTAs networking dinner will be a traditional Scottish Burns dinner to which all Silver sponsors will receive 1 ticket
- Silver sponsors will have access to the event’s analytics within 5 days of the conclusion of the event (within GDPR guidelines)
BRONZE $10,000 (7 available)
- Top tier promotional opportunities through custom tabletop exhibition space as well as prominent placement of company branding and logos throughout all event printed materials and event website
- Enjoy a delegate pass for preferred customer and/or staff member
- The opportunity to place a printed ¼ page advert in event brochure
- In celebration of Scottish tradition, ZESTAs networking dinner will be a traditional Scottish Burns dinner to which all Bronze sponsors will receive 1 ticket
- Bronze sponsors will have access to the event’s analytics within 5 days of the conclusion of the event (within GDPR guidelines)
1,2,3 Nov 2021
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Produced by: The Zero Emissions Ship Technology Association
All sessions will be followed by a presenters’ panel, audience Q&A and brainstorming sessions.
Brainstorming sessions which will be held under the Chatham House rule: Not recorded or live streamed.
Note to media: Press are expressly forbidden from quoting speakers during brainstorming sessions.
Media – SHIP ZERO remarks and presentations will be open to media and livestreamed. Brainstorming sessions taking place after remarks and presentations will be held under Chatham House rules, and will not be livestreamed or recorded. Media may attend those sessions on request – but may not directly quote any of the participants in the brainstorming sessions. Press and media, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information about covering SHIP ZERO.
Day 1 – Zero Emission Ships and Zero Emission Systems
08:00 Registration and light breakfast
09:00- 09:05 Chairs Opening Remarks – Madadh MacLaine, Secretary-General ZESTAs
09:05 – 09:20 Keynote address
“A healthy planet requires a healthy ocean, a healthy ocean requires clean shipping.”
Peter Thomson, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of Fiji to the United Nations as well as the UNSG’s Special Envoy for the Ocean – Mr. Thomson leads UN’s advocacy and public outreach efforts inside and outside of the UN system, ensuring that the many positive outcomes of ‘The 2017 Ocean Conference’, including the over 1500 voluntary commitments, are analysed and implemented.
SESSION 1: Liquid hydrogen vessels and systems
Moderator: Mark Cameron, COO Ardmore Shipping, will moderate the mornings sessions from a ship owners perspective.
09:20 – 10:15 Presentations
- Hydra – Lessons learned on world first blue water liquid hydrogen-electric hybrid ferry: Ivan Østvik, Project Manager, Norled AS. In this showcase, Ivan will tell us about the design of the vessel, the choice to use liquid hydrogen, the alternative design route and more.
- World First Liquid Hydrogen Bunkering system: Steven Lua, CEO, Unitrove. Steven will speak about liquid and liquid-to-compressed-gas hydrogen bunkering systems.
- Technology of a Liquid Hydrogen Fuelgas Supply System: Kristoffer Lorentsson, MAN Energy Solutions, Kristofer will explain the technology to store liquid hydrogen on board a ship, and supply gaseous hydrogen at correct temperature and pressure to the onboard consumers.
10:15 – 10:40 Coffee break – Sponsored by Unitrove
SESSION 2: Game changer zero-emissions vessel projects
Moderator: Mark Cameron
10:40 – 11:10 Presentations
- Topeka – cutting through the chicken and egg dilemma of hydrogen: Tomas Tronstad Head of Shipping and Technology, Wilhelmsen New Energy AS Wilhelmsen is actively engaged in projects through the entire value chain of hydrogen; production, distribution, storage and use in various end-user applications.
- World’s first Fully Zero Emissions Hydrogen Sailing Cargo vessel: Danielle Doggett, CEO, SAILCARGO INC. Danielle will present designs for combined hydrogen and wind propulsion, demonstrating the implementation of a hydrogen fuel cell system in zero emission cargo ships.
11:10 – 11:40 Speakers panel discussion (Sessions 1 and 2), Audience Q&A
Moderator: Mark Cameron
11:40 – 12:30 Brainstorming session
12:30 – 14:00 Buffet Lunch & Networking Sponsored by SAILCARGO INC.
SESSION 3: Onboard Hydrogen Systems
14:00 – 14:45 Presentations
- Why Zero Emissions, what impact will it have and how does such a solution look like? Johan Burgen, Business Manager at PowerCell Sweden AB
- Fuel Cell Technology and Integration: Jogchum Bruinsma, Application Manager, Maritime, Nedstack Fuel Cell Technology. Jogchum will update us on the state of the art of marinized hydrogen fuel cells and how they are integrated into the ships power system.
- Hurdles in exploring compressed hydrogen gas for maritime business: Håvard Stave, Hexagon Purus Technical Sales Manager Maritime. Implementing usage of compressed hydrogen gas as maritime alternative fuel calls for a disruptive innovation process.
- “Sea Change”- Lessons learned on the world first gaseous hydrogen ferry: Joe Pratt CEO & CTO, Zero Emission Industries (formerly Golden Gate Zero Emission Marine). (Virtual presentation)
14:45– 15:05 Tea break, Sponsored by Future Proof Shipping
SESSION 4: Energy Safety and Global Supply
15:05 – 15:50 Presentations
- Battery Safety and Creating Better Safety Standards: Brent Perry, ZESTAs Board Chair and CEO of SHIFT. Brent will discuss how battery safety is critical to broad adoption of electric vessels as we race toward zero shipping emissions.
- Training Crews for Hydrogen Powered Ships: Mark Shinner, Curriculum Leader for Maritime Studies and Engineering, Orkney College. Orkney College is delivering the World’s first Government-recognised training course for crews of hydrogen fuelled vessels, working closely with the UK Maritime and Coastguard Agency.
- Hydrogen in the Maritime – Safety challenges can be managed: Olav Roald Hansen, Founder, HYEX. Olav will speak about hydrogen safety; properties, risks and challenges.
- Achieving a Levelized Cost of Hydrogen by 2030 – Chilean Green Hydrogen Strategy for Maritime Transport – Camilo Aviles, Head of New Energy Carriers Unit, Chilean Ministry of Energy.
15:50 – 16:30 Speakers panel discussion (Sessions 3 and 4) Audience Q&A
16:30 – 18:00 Brainstorming session
Gala Networking Dinner – Traditional Scottish “Burns Supper”
Hosted by SHIFT Clean Energy
18:30 Drinks reception
19:30 Seating begins
20:00 Speeches and Dinner
Welcome Keynote – Brent Perry, CEO, SHIFT Clean Energy
Graeme Dey, Minister for Transport, Scottish Government
Day 2 – Finance and Innovation
08:45 –08:50 Chairs welcome and opening and overview
08:50 – 09:15 Keynote address
How Financiers, Insurers and Cargo owners can enable innovation and accelerate the transition to true zero emissions.
Michael Parker, Chairman of Global Shipping, Citibank and Chairman of the Poseidon Principles Association.
SESSION 1: Financing Full Systems Change: Strategies & Initiatives
Moderator: D. Michael Adams, Ocean Assets Institute. Author, Shipping and Port Guidance, Sustainable Blue Economy Finance Principles, UNEP-FI.
09:15 – 10:00 Presentations
- Poseidon Principles – Impact to date and next steps: Paul Taylor, Vice Chairman of the Poseidon Principles, Managing Director & Global Head of Shipping and Offshore, Société Generale
- Blended Finance Solutions: Gregor Paterson-Jones, PJ & Company, Advisors on Infrastructure & Development Finance
- A Shipowner’s Journey toward Sustainable Finance of Decarbonisation: Oistein Jensen, Chief Sustainability Officer, Odfjell SE.
10:00 – 10:30 Presenters’ panel, audience Q&A.
Moderator: D. Michael Adams
10:30 – 10:50 Coffee break – Sponsored by Ocean Assets Institute
SESSION 2: Raising Capital: From Early to Growth-Stage Technologies
Moderator: Stuart MacDonald, Managing Partner, Bride Valley Partners. Capital raising for alternative funds and technologies.
10:50 – 11:10 Presentations
- Success Stories – Starting with Investment Readiness: Andrew Smith, Partner, Greenbackers
- Funding Short-Term Emissions Reduction: Diane Gilpin, CEO, Smart Green Shipping
- The power of co-creation in accelerating implementation of sustainable innovations: Nynke Visser, Owner, Innivity
11:10 – 11:40 Presenters’ panel, audience Q&A
Moderator: Stuart MacDonald
11:40 – 12:30 Brainstorming session
12:30 – 13:45 Buffet Lunch & Networking
SESSION 3: Energy Efficiency Innovations in Design
Moderator: Alisdair Pettigrew, Managing Director, BLUE
13:45 – 14:30 Presentations
- Air Lubrication: David Connelly, Silverstream Technologies
- CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) – How can we use CFD refined in ocean racing to optimize energy efficiency early in the design process?: Angus Gray and Stephens Meng, Cape Horn Engineering.
- Wind as main propulsion: Patrick Englebert, General Manager at PROPELWIND S.A.S., Zero-emission trimaran and monohull designs for commercial vessels using wind for main propulsion and green fuel for assistance
14:30 15:00 Presenters’panel, audience Q&A
15:00 – 15:20 Tea break
SESSION 4: Wind Propulsion Power Systems
Moderator: Amie Pascoe, Director, BLUE
15:20 – 16:05 Presentations
- The DynaRig, A commercial Shipping Solution: Damon Roberts, DynaRig Team Authority, Southern Spars. The presentation will describe the route to commercialisation of this highly successful solution.
- The Seawing, automated kite to power ships: Stéphanie Lesage, General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, The Seawing is an automated kite system, able to tow the biggest ships, reducing fuel consumption and associated emissions on average by 20% their fuel (Virtual presentation)
- Suction Wing Sail: Frank Nieuwenhuis, CEO, Econowind – Containerised, on a flatrack, handled by the hatch crane of the ship, this technology can be retrofitted I the time it takes to load a container.
16:05 – 16:45 Presenters’ panel, audience Q&A
16:45 – 18:00 Brainstorming session
18:00 21:00 Brainstorming & Drinks Reception with Hors d’oeuvres
Day 3 – Zero Emissions Enablers, Policy, Ports and ZE Fuels
08:45 – 09:15 Keynote address
Achieving Zero GHG Emissions on a Global Scale – Common but Differentiated Responsibilities and Capabilities
How can we level the playing field for Least Developed Countries and Small Island Developing States?
Lydia Ngogi: Head of MTCC Africa, International Maritime Organisation (IMO)
SESSION 1: Delivering Zero GHG Fuels in Ports
09:15 – 09:45 Presentations
- UK National Clean Maritime Demonstration Hub: Stuart Barnes, Clean Maritime Innovation Lead, Offshore Renewable Energy Catapult (OREC). Stuart will describe the features of the OREC Hub that support the development of ZE fueling facilities
- Renewable Electricity for Ships and Ports: Brent Perry, ZESTAs Board Chairman and CEO of SHIFT. Brent will speak about technological advances in the electrification of ports and other maritime systems.
09:45 – 10:05 Presenters’ panel, audience Q&A
10:05 – 10:25 Coffee Break – Zero Emissions Maritime Technology, ltd
SESSION 2: Market Factors
Moderator: Nick Brown, Global Brand and Communications Director, Marine & Offshore, Bureau Veritas
10:25 – 11:25 Presentations
- Carbon Tax Options for International Shipping: Michael Prehn, IMO Representative for the Solomon Islands
- International Maritime Research Board: John Bradshaw, Technical Director – Safety & Environment, Deputy Secretary General, World Shipping Council
- ICS Carbon Levy: Simon Bennett, Deputy Secretary General,International Chamber of Shipping
- Sustainability Metrics for Shipping: Benjamin Lechaptois, Sustainability Strategy Leader, Bureau Veritas Marine & Offshore
- CoZEV Cargo Owner Commitment: Nishatabbas Rehmatulla, principal research fellow at the UCL Energy Institute, will explain this initiative where cargo owners are committing to absolute zero emissions on a full lifecycle greenhouse gas emissions counting basis in contrast to net zero emissions, thus ruling out carbon offsets. (Virtual presentation)
11:25 – 11:55 Presenters’ panel, audience Q&A
Moderator: Nick Brown, Bureau Veritas
11:55 – 13:00 Light Buffet Lunch
SESSION 3: The Policy Picture
13:00 – 14:00 Presentations
- IMO Initial Strategy – Moving on with Midterm Measures: Camille Bourgeon, IMO Marine Environment Division
- USA – New Beginnings: Jeff Lantz, US Coast Guard, US IMO Head of D (Virtual presentation)
- Europe’s GHG Emissions Reduction Strategy: Jacob Armstrong, Sustainable Shipping Officer, Transport & Environment (T&E). Jacob will discuss how the European Commission’s recent shipping package hopes to catalyse the transition to zero-emission shipping.
- Mandating the Transition to Zero-Emission Vessels: Bryan Comer, PhD, Marine Program Lead, International Council on Clean Transportation. Bryan will discuss the role of command and control policies. (Virtual presentation)
14:00 – 14:30 Presenters’ panel audience Q&A
14:30 – 15:00 Scottish High Tea – Sponsored by Fair Winds Trust
15:00 – 15:50 Final Brainstorming session
15:50 – 16:00 Closing Observations and Next Steps on the Voyage to True Zero